Eating healthy meals doesn’t have to be expensive! Many affordable and delicious recipes are both healthy and satisfying. And this post will explore some of the best options for healthy eating on a budget. It will provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes, as well as some tips for keeping your meals healthy and affordable. So whether you’re looking to save money or stay healthy, it has you covered! So before you order takeout or eat another unhealthy meal, check out this post for some affordable and delicious healthy meals.
Why You Should Be Eating Healthy Meals
Like most people, you probably think of healthy eating as a means to an end – that is, eating healthy to be healthy. But there are many other benefits to eating healthy meals beyond just improving your physical health. For one thing, eating healthy can help improve your mental health. Studies have shown a strong link between diet and mental health and that eating nutrient-rich foods can help reduce anxiety and depression. In addition, eating healthy can also help boost your energy levels and improve your sleep. And of course, one of the most important benefits of eating healthy is that it can help you maintain a healthy weight. So if you’re looking to improve your overall health, start by ensuring you get all the nutrients you need from nutritious, healthy meals!
Veggie Breakfast Omelet
Eggs are a staple in many households, and for a good reason – they’re affordable, versatile, and packed with protein. One of the best ways to enjoy eggs is in an omelet, and there are endless possibilities for fillings. For a healthy and affordable option, try a veggie breakfast omelet. This omelet is full of nutrients and flavor, and it’s easy to make ahead of time for a quick and convenient breakfast.
Recipe for Veggie Breakfast Omelet:
- ½ tablespoon butter or oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese
Heat the butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until softened, about five minutes.
Whisk together the eggs and cheese, and pour into the skillet.
Cook until the eggs are set, about three minutes.
Fold the omelet in half, and serve with toast or a side of fruit.
For many, chili conjures up images of hearty beef stew, slow-cooked for hours until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick and rich. However, chili is a very versatile dish, and it can be just as delicious when made with vegetables instead of meat. Not only is vegetarian chili more affordable than its meaty counterpart, but it is also full of nutrients and fiber.
The following is so good that even meat-eaters will enjoy it! And at under $15 for the entire pot, it’s a budget-friendly meal that the whole family will love.
Recipe for Vegetarian Chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper, and cook until softened, about five minutes.
Add the chili powder and cook for one minute.
Add the black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, water, vinegar, honey or maple syrup, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and sour cream.
Another affordable and delicious meal is chicken teriyaki. Teriyaki chicken is a popular Japanese dish that you can make easily at home. The key to making a good chicken teriyaki is to use a quality teriyaki sauce. While there are many store-bought sauces available, they can often be expensive. A better option is to make your own sauce, which is more affordable and allows you to control the ingredients. The following recipe uses a homemade teriyaki sauce and only takes about 30 minutes to make.
Recipe for Chicken Teriyaki:
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
For the chicken:
- ½ pound chicken breast, cut into small strips
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and ginger in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
Combine the chicken strips and half of the sauce in a large bowl or ziplock bag. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken strips and cook until browned and cooked through for about five minutes. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables, and enjoy!
Tips To Make Any Meal Healthier And More Affordable
As you know, a healthy diet is essential for our physical and mental well-being. However, eating healthy can sometimes feel like a challenge, especially when time is tight, or budgets are tight. Luckily, there are a few simple tips that can help to make any meal healthier and more affordable.
- First, try to cook at home more often. Home-cooked meals are not only usually healthier than restaurant meals, but they are also typically less expensive. If cooking from scratch is not an option, many healthy and affordable prepared foods are available at most grocery stores.
- Second, focus on buying fresh produce. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not only packed with nutrients, but they are also usually very affordable. If fresh produce is unavailable or too expensive, frozen fruits and vegetables are an excellent second option.
- Third, try to limit the amount of processed foods you eat. Processed foods often contain unhealthy ingredients, such as sugar, salt, and fat. They can also be very expensive.
- Instead, focus on eating whole foods that are minimally processed.
- Finally, don’t forget to plan. Planning can help you save both time and money. For example, Meal prepping or batch cooking can help you save time during the week. And planning your grocery list before you go to the store can help you avoid buying unnecessary or impulse items.
These small changes can make a big difference in your overall health. In addition, cooking at home is usually cheaper than eating out, so it’s a win-win situation. So next time you’re stuck in a rut, remember these tips for making any meal healthier and more affordable. Your body will thank you!
Try Some Of These Delicious Healthy Meals!
As you can see, there are many affordable and delicious healthy meals that you can make at home. By following the tips in this article, you can easily make any meal healthier and more affordable. So next time you’re looking for a healthy meal option, try one of these recipes or, at the very least, find creative ways to make your favorite meals healthier. Because at the end of the day, your health is worth it!